Monday, November 16, 2009

First Bentos!

Well, a few days ago I got those bento boxes in the mail. I was kind of excited to make them for me and John, but also tired and kind of short on time, inspiration, and ingredients. I didn't take any pictures of the process of cooking, since it was all easy and boring, so I'll just tell you what I did.
I cut up and steamed some broccolini and carrot, then cut up celery. I thawed out some brown rice that had been in the freezer for me. John doesn't like that rice (it's not my favorite, either), so instead I made him a half a sandwich with roast beef and colby cheese. I also put some tomato slices in mine, and I threw a little donut in his. I made us each a little hot dog octopus. Hee hee! I think they're cute. You just cut a hot dog into half (or I did 2/3rds for John and 1/3rd for me), then cut partway up each half to make the tentacles. It's actually easier to cut them into six sections, though octopi of course have eight legs. Anyway, you can cut a little face into them, and throw them into the microwave, and as they plump, the legs separate. It's really cute. The same principle can be used to make circular hot dogs for when you run out of hot dog buns but still have hamburger buns. Just make some slices in one side of the hot dog, halfway through its width, before you nuke them. Whee!
The steamed carrot was surprisingly sweet, and good. Note for next time: Keep stuff to be microwaved in one tier. I didn't end up heating anything up, since it was all mixed together. It was good, but I think it might have been better warmed.

Anyway, here are the pictures!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment