Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Caprese salad

Some fresh mozzarella fell into my lap the other day, so I decided my first meal on here would be the simple yet tasty caprese salad!
Here are the ingredients you'll need:

Tomato
Fresh mozzarella
Fresh basil
Balsamic vinegar
Olive oil

It was really simple, so I won't bore you with pictures of me slicing things up-- plus, I didn't take any.
Basically, you just slice up your tomato and your fresh mozzarella, then arrange them in a row alternating cheese and tomato (or however you want, obviously), interspersing some fresh basil leaves as you go. Then you drizzle the whole affair with some balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and, if you want, garnish with some bread, like baguette. I had some crostini that I'd bought from the deli to accompany the salad, and they were delightful together. Crostini is basically just thinly sliced and toasted bread. I think mine had some olive oil and black pepper in it, as well, and it was crunchy and delicious!
For my single-person recipe, I used about 4 ounces of mozzarella and one smallish tomato. The entire thing was approximately 470 calories, if I am not mistaken.
I love fresh mozzarella-- it's such a mild cheese, but the texture and flavor are very satisfying. The fresh basil adds some stronger flavor, almost anise-like, but I still liked it even though I'm not a fan of black licorice. And of course, the tomato. Delicious and full of lycopene. I personally think that the balsamic vinegar brought more deliciousness to the table than the olive oil, but what do I know.
Oh, and here's a picture of the finished product! Thanks to my man (let's call him John) for letting me borrow his camera.




I still have fresh mozzarella left over, and lots of basil, so I think tonight I might make some dough and then tomorrow evening whip up some mini-pizzas! It'll be a first for me, so I hope it turns out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment